Tuesday, June 13, 2006
5 Tips to Burning Fat
Do you want to know how to burn fat? Here are five great tips to help you do it! It’s easier than you may think!
We trust you had a great holiday, but this time of year always finds many of us saying that what we received was a few extra and unwanted pounds. And now we want to know how to go about getting rid of them.
Yes, as we have talked about before, the Holidays seem to be an excuse for people to go overboard with their food indulgences. Well, now that we are towards the tail end of the Holidays, it's time to get started back.
To be straight forward, I want to start off by saying this.
The ONLY way to burn fat is through AEROBIC exercise.
That means it's time to get on the bike, treadmill, stair master, elliptical trainer, in the pool or on the road with your best jogging shoes. YES, by increasing your lean muscle mass through ANAEROBIC weight training you can increase your metabolism, but the majority of fat that your body will burn is going to happen through AEROBIC exercise.
I wanted to give you all some tips for when you head back into the gym…hopefully in the next day or two!
1) If you are going into a commercial gym, make sure that you are familiar with all the machines. Do NOT be embarrassed to ask someone on the gym staff a question or two.
Believe me, it is a lot less embarrassing than having them call an ambulance because you used the machine wrong and injured yourself!
2) The most important thing to remember when exercising with weights is to focus on your form. The number one reason people are injured while working out is that they have incorrect form. Again, if you are not sure about your form, ask a trainer or staff member at your gym.
3) The number two reason for injury is that people use too much weight. Let's not worry about breaking world records just yet! If you injure yourself, you defeat the entire purpose of why you are working out in the first place. It’s pretty hard to exercise with a cast or brace on your arm or leg, as I know from personal experience!
4) Another key here is making sure that you are drinking enough water before, during, and after your workout. The bodies 300 trillion cells need water to transport nutrients into the cell for energy, and transport the by-products of the cell out.
5) Lastly, always wear comfortable and supportive clothing and footwear when working out. It's not a fashion show as some of those commercials on television would have us believe. You are there to do WORK! But that work is often fun when you are comfortable and relaxed.
And remember not to rush through your workout!
The first few workouts after the Holidays or when starting for the first time are always the toughest, but once you are a week into it you will feel like a million bucks and ready to take on the New Year with a great outlook! Never give up. We are here to support you because we believe YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
Thomas Von Ohlen, MS
Thomas Von Ohlen is a clinical nutritionist and developer of Plasma Pro software for doctors. In his 15 years in private practice he has helped thousands of people, from all over the world, achieve their health goals through education and product recommendations. His FREE newsletter is available at www.healyourbodynow.com